ps- I wont be deleting this blog, although you will find ALL archived posts on the new blog as well
So I can vote...I can drink....I can shop till the break of dawn (well, that was always). Tomorrow, I am finally 21 yeards old. How on Earth did I live such a full life without even being able to enter a nighclub haha. Well, thank God for my health and family, and of course my lovely blogger friends. Any words of wisdom from those older and wiser?
I hope we can celebrate together virtually!!
p.s.- do not ask me why I am not asleep yet...what a crazy week eh!?
Note: click to enlarge images, they are much more clear enlarged!
Woah, you ladies love those mags huh!? So since they are selling like hotcakes, thought it would be helpful to list a fraction of what I have for the international limited editions:
- LULA #6 (totally sold out, nowhere to be found except on eBay for $200)
- WONDERLAND April/May 2008
- MUSE Summer 2008
- 10 Summer 2008
- FRANKIE Jan/Feb 2008
- ABOVE Vol #7
- MAN ABOUT TOWN Jan 2008
- LET THEM EAT CAKE #4
- MATERIAL GIRL #2, #3 (this is a brand new magazine only 3 issues sold!)
- PURPLE SUMMER 2008
- METAL #8
- PLASTIQUE #2 Fall 2007 (sold out, not printing, limited edition!!)
- INDIE #18 Spring 2008
- ISSUE ONE Summer 2006
- SELF SERVICE Spring 2008
Posted in on sale
Is anyone interested in a lovely sewing machine? I know there are tons of fashionistas out there procrastinating on following that dream of making their own clothes. Maybe you want to open a little Etsy shop? Maybe you have one already but need a super power industrial strength one like they have in fashion schools. Well, now is your chance. I just bought this beauty, but the estimate to ship it will leave me bankrupt. So I bought a new one, only to find out I can detach it from the table! Oh well..so we have a great industrial sewing machine for sale, I can part with $200 or less. It is a vintage model, but if you know machines, I dont need to explain the difference. Juki and Pfaff are the two best brands for hardcore sewers, so dont worry about the quality. Please spread the word. I really need this gone by this week! My flight is quickly approaching and I won't dare throw it away :)
PS- I also have these lovely Louis XV style furniture pieces I would love to find a new home for! I unfortunately dont have a Salvation Army in my area, so leave a comment if you see anything you like and I will practically give it to you. I am not here to make tons of money, I just want to get everything out and that means I will sacrifice their real value and sell for pennies on the dollar. So there is a gorgeous white lamp from celeb designer store Details, vintage gold leaf display table that I use to house my international limited edition magazine collection lol and a gold side table with marbleized glass. I will SHIP FREE to the first 5 people who are interested. Lets just say I know the UPS guys very well :)
Black Lucite glass chairs are SOLD!
thanks to the lovely Mia, and happy birthday again!
Black china stand ON HOLD!
Photo credit: The Cherry Blossom Girl
Take 1 (of what I know will be revised and redesigned to death). So what do we think? Designed by your truly and executed by the lovely boyfriend, I welcome the logo for soon-to-be label, LUSH. If anyone can guess what is the hidden name behind the brand, you will win a free dress complimentary of LUSH. Just drop me notes in you know where :)
As suggested by the comment left below by the lovely Danz. Thanks girly!
Can you spot the difference?
So here goes it, those little 6 random facts you don't care about but will be pleasantly surprised to know anyway haha:
- I've owned around 5 or 7 businesses so far that have all turned profit, appreciated amounts of press, been either fashion or food related (selling brownies at school counts right!?); all before I am old enough to drink.
- My baby brother whose birthday is before mine (tomorrow actually...and mine is October 20 making me a Libra) is adopted, and no one could ever tell the way I love him to death! (Take that Brangelina!)
- I am not emancipated per se, but I have been on my own since 15 years old when my mother decided her midlife dating crisis was more important than my young adult life. I skipped out from one school in FL to another in NYC and have been living alone ever since.
- I am the first ever American bred human in my family's history. We are of Jamaican descent...and I have a quarter Chinese which is very obvious when I smile....my eyes go all squinty like the guy who delivers your pork fried rice.
- I got kicked out of The Fashion Spot for saying that I like my blog.
- I have been having dreams and thoughts of my real purpose on this Earth (when you reach a certain age, grown up thoughts like this hit you like bricks) and so I am laying down some groundwork on a non-profit organization where the fashion industry or maybe just the fashion blog community can give back to society via women's charities. Not like Clothes Off Our Backs or anything cheezy, but a real hard tangible intiative that feed the hungry, clothe the cold and cure the sick. I watched Blow with Johhny Depp the other night and it was so so sad the ending that it made me think of other sad movies where people are lonely or dying and are helpless...the fashion world has so much, and its our duty to give back.
Fiona in all her glory has bestowed upon me (yes I am using royal jargon because her name comes from Shrek) this lovely virtual trophy that you see above and has asked me to list six values that I think are most important, which are:
Patience, Forgiveness, Honesty, Friendship (does this count?), Tenacity, Perseverance and Optimism.
and six negative points that I condemn, which are:
Arrogance, Judgementalness (its not a word, I know), Unreliability, Pessimism, Selfishness and Laziness (mostly with men).
Now I’m required to post the rules for everyone, including my tagees:
- Link to the person who tagged you.
- Post the rules (and prize logo) on your blog.
- Write six random things about yourself/ 6 important values and negative points you condemn.
- Tag 6-10 people at the end of your post.
- Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
- Let the tagger know your entry is up.
Sooooo, I hope the following beauties don’t mind if I tag them, as I’m unapologeticly curious about their little hidden secrets of how they are so freakin fabulous: Jo, Katlin, Karla, Wendy, Beth, Laurel, Julie, Alix and Miss at la Playa.
What do you guys think of some of the stock!?
This beauty is in the summer
issue of DUJOUR. Retail was $590
and on sale for $125
this is a great dress just in
time for holiday! retail was
$790 at Couture Candy and
on sale for $125 at CD
this little number I scored at Zara as part of their collection
and its great for work with a little ruffle top, $65
PS- right now the blog shop is invitation only, but we open officialy 12 am EST!
1. What’s your favorite fashion blog, the one where you go to for the latest styles and updates on trends and news?
2. What’s your favorite blog to go to for personal fashion inspiration?
3. And of course, which blog is the ultimate fashion “Bible” you go to for everything – style, news, inspiration, etc.?
4. Who’s your favorite Etsy designer?
5. What’s your favorite Myspace band or singer?
6. What’s your fave online magazine both new and old?
7. Which indie brand do you think will be the next “it” brand covered by every fashion magazine?
8. What’s your favorite online shopping site for affordable fashion?
9. What’s your favorite online shopping site to window-shop but you’re too afraid of the neverending hole it might create in your wallet?
- Other (please name it!)
11. What’s your favorite eco-friendly designer/brand?
Don't forget to check out this teaser interview with the gorgeous and lovely Danz....just a little snippet of what's to come!
How did you get started blogging about fashion and shopping?
My interest in fashion was sparked through reading various fashion publications and I always enjoyed the ‘Look for Less’ features in magazines such as InStyle and Lucky. However, the clothing they featured was often still above my college student budget so I started looking around for great, affordable alternatives online.
Fashion blogs like Style Bytes, the Vintage Society and The Sartorialist inspired me to want to share my findings with others, so I started off by posting them on Fabsugar.com to see what kind of response I would get. After getting positive comments on the Fabsugar blog, I decided to set up Fatal Attraction 2 Fashion.
What is your favorite part about blogging?
Well, my two favourite parts about blogging are researching and learning about topics for my posts, and getting to know the wonderful bloggers out there.
What are your favorite shopping resources?
I’m an ardent bargain hunter so some of my favourite shopping resources are garages sales, Ebay and affordable online stores.
What are you obsessing on these days?
At the moment, some of the things on my “Really, really want” list are cocktail rings, asymmetric zip jackets, bow ties, vintage cotton scarves, 40s style hats and headpieces, well tailored blazers, grey boots, cute print dresses and I would love an authentic Chanel or Chanel-style quilted purse with chain strap.
Where do you live and work?
I live in Barbados, which is an island in the Caribbean. I'm currently completing my final year in the Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts - Graphic Design programme at the Barbados Community College.
I admire the creativity, talent and skills of many designers out there. Some of my favourites are Chanel, Alexander McQueen, Anna Sui, Burberry Prorsum, Marc Jacobs and Marchesa.
Do you have a favorite item of clothing? What is it?
Right now, my favourite item of clothing is an abstract floral print, 50s style dress that I bought from a garage sale last weekend for $6. (see photo above!)
How do hunt down the trends?
I do plenty of research on various fashion websites, blogs and online stores and pinpoint any recurring themes that I find interesting. I think it’s very important to be selective of the trends you buy into; take the time to find the right items that will make you look and feel fabulous and that reflect your personality.
What's the secret to discovering the latest sales?
I keep a record of all the stores I come across and visit them often to see if they have any sale events going on. If you don’t have the time to do that, another good way is to sign up for the newsletters of your favourite stores as subscribers are the first to be informed of any sales.
What do you look for when shopping?
I look for clothing that:
a) I find stylish and intriguing.
b) I can afford.
c) suits my body type.
d) I feel comfortable and confident in.
Would you mind sharing a random fact about yourself?
Hmm...let's see. Well, I suffer from LTNAA which is short for 'Little to no athletic ability'. Yeah, I pretty much suck at all sports and I came last in almost every race I've ever run. P.E in high school was brutal but I did the best I could.
the next issue of my mag DUJOUR is the Internet Issue!! (with a side special on the LBD, some peolpe like the lovely Kaitlin really need help picking their holiday dresses out lol) Woot, woot! I am so excited. We have tons of great stuff planned. We are doing reader choice award surveys on the top fashion blogs rolling out on Monday, so look out for that. All the best from Etsy all the way to Myspace. So anyway, enough shameless plugging. I want your opinion on the choice of cover. Candidate number one is above (sample text from last issue is used). I love that its dark and mysterious and perfect for the little black dress special. It is a holiday/winter issue, so dark is not bad right? Candidate number two coming up later today!
Photo Credit: Cover 2 styled and shot by me! Cover 1 is Denise Boomkens
"She is the epitome of fabulous, stylish, and sophisticated. She is a New York based designer of clothing and accessories. She has a Dutch and South Asian background and is wife to Damon Dash of Roca Wear clothing. Her style is unique and calls for attention but is still classy. Her first fashion gig was sales for Wet Seal...back in the day."
And its good to see some fashionable women from all stages of life are fans.....
She's so gorgeous right!? And you can't tell me this dress wouldn't look fab on absolutely everyone!...
- 16 yards muslin (ok well, that's just how much I started with)
- fabric shears (great for fabric swatches and unraveling fabric edges)
- paper scissors (great for pattern paper)
- tape measure
- clear plastic ruler
- a healthy supply of dressmaker pins
- style tape (to make pretty swirls and curls on the dressform)
- sewing thread
- fabric marking pencil or chalk
- notebook (would be helpful)
- sharpened pencils
- rulers and L-square
- tracing wheel and tracing paper
- pattern paper
- Draping for Apparel Design (the best instructional book ever!)
- and of course a handy dandy inspirational sketchbook!